ChiMomWriter is suffering culture shock upon re-entering her home universe after the amazing BlogHer 2011 conference. Instead of listening to her whine about why she didn’t work out last week, OneStrongMama is here to motivate you to get moving!
I often hear people say that there isn’t enough time to exercise. I can attest to how hard it is to find personal time with a family, spouse, job, and normal day-to-day responsibilities. It’s not really about getting structured exercise, though, it’s about moving more. If you stay active in your day to day activities, you’ll reap some of the same benefits as a formal exercise program.
Recently, Mark Sisson at Mark’s Daily Apple posted a Workout of the Week that was based on moves you might use while doing housework. I thought this was such a great idea, and wanted to expand on it a little bit. Do you want to burn more calories while you do your housework or just throughout the day? Try some of these:
- Ankle weights: Channel your inner Jane Fonda here. Do your housework with some ankle weights on. It’ll add a little more resistance, and make you work just a little bit harder to get from here to there.
- Do a few push ups between activities: Push Ups are one of the best all around exercises. Not only do they work your upper body, but they force you to work your core, too. Do standard push ups on the floor, modify and do them on your knees, or do them up against a wall. Do you have a baby? Place them on the floor, and do push ups down to them. Hold, and give ’em a little kiss. Do as many as you can.
- Stop to bench press your kid: Not only does the little one act as the weight, but it’s also unstable weight. This forces your muscles to work just a little bit harder.
- Race your kid, play chase; Participate in play instead of supervising: My 2 year old LOVES to play chase, and he loves to race. While he’s obviously not very fast, running with him is exercise! When you move more, you burn more.
- Walking lunges: Do these around the house as you mop the floor or dust. Lunges are a great leg exercise. They work multiple muscles, including your core, and help with balance.
- Wall squats: Folding laundry? Do some a wall squat while you fold. Hold for 30-60 seconds.
- Towel Push-Aways or Mountain Climbers: Scrubbing the floor? Do some push-aways or mountain climbers using extra towels. These are AWESOME core exercises. Do as many as you can, go back to your housework, and do some more.
There ARE ways to stay active throughout the day and to get some exercise in. It just might require a little creativity sometimes. Hopefully these exercises will give you some ideas and motivating to get moving!
How do YOU make time for exercise?
It’s Your Turn: Come Link Up!
Got a post to link up about fitness and/or your training goals? Link up! Here’s what you need to do:
Grab a Motivate Me Monday badge and pop it onto your post – the code is in the sidebar.
Link a post from within the past week about. There is no set format or “rules” for what you’re writing.
Try to check out as many of the other posts as you can and give some comment love when you have time – Let’s give each other some encouragement to stay on track!
And, if you have any Qs, just email me at chimomwriter (at) itbuildscharacter (dot) com.
For those on Twitter, join into the conversation with me (@ChiMomWriter). We’ll be talking under #MotivateMe – jump in!
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy week.